Monday, February 15, 2010

Vegan

I don't think it's wrong to eat meat, dairy, or eggs.  Especially when people rely on these foods for survival, as many people in the world do and have done.  But here, in the United States, many of us are fortunate enough to be selective about what we put in our mouths.  If we educate ourselves on the source of our food as well as the effects of that food on our bodies, we might make some different choices.

I will never knowingly buy another Monsanto product, for example.

I'm also trying a vegan diet.  I hesitate to declare that, because I know the stereotypes that come to mind.  But avoiding stereotypes is a losing battle, isn't it?  After all, I'm blond and southern.  So who cares.

Vegan makes sense for me.  As a little girl, my heart ached at the thought of an animal or person hurting.  Some may call that a bleeding heart; but I'm glad I have the luxury to act on compassion.  In addition, my fascination with vegetables and clean, nutritious food began at a very early age.  I loved the colors, the lightness, the simplicity and the purity of healthy food.  Combine that with my passionate hatred of injustice and the current corruption in the food industry, and a diet based on grains and vegetables suits me well.

Alicia Silverstone, in her new book The Kind Diet, says she "walks lighter," both literally and figuratively. Anyone who takes action in his or her own small way, to reinforce his values, can experience that lightness.

I'm not saying I'll never eat meat, fish, eggs, or dairy again.  But if I do, I'll be conscious of their source.

1 comment:

  1. you are in one of my favorite places in atlanta...well decatur. :-)

    cheers from a fellow atlanta artist.

    ReplyDelete