Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Alicia's Cornbread

This cornbread has a sweeter taste and finer texture than I'm accustomed to, due to the addition of molasses and whole wheat pastry flour.  Chris liked it.  I liked it but I prefer a more crumbly, crispy cornbread with all cornmeal.  I also love to put a little cream corn in the batter, as well as chopped jalapenos and sometimes bell pepper.

Sorry Alicia, it's just personal preference! But this is my favorite vegan cornbread recipe so far.  Only - replace the flour with all cornmeal, omit the sugar and instead add a little agave nectar, and add a little cream corn and peppers...

Oh! And don't forget to melt some butter in a cast iron skillet in the oven before adding the batter to the skillet.  I learned this trick from Lorene, who has been making cornbread for much longer than you or I have been around.  Melting the butter in the cast-iron makes the crust crispier.

No comments:

Post a Comment