Monday, March 1, 2010

Artichoke Dip & Pita Chips

This was yummy!  And so, so very good for you.  I love being able to eat artichoke dip and know that it's actually healthy.

Okay, I'll admit I cheated and added a Tbsp of vegenaise.

The only problem is I accidently pulsed the artichokes too long in the food processor, so there aren't those good chunks of artichokes in there. So make sure you don't over-process the artichokes.

This recipe is from Dreena Burton's cookbook Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. What is special about Dreena's book is that she refuses to use anything processed. Period.

Artichoke Dip:
1/2 c baked potatoes (yukon gold or red)
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic
1 t dry mustard
3/4 t sea salt
2 T nutritional yeast
2-3 pinches ground black pepper
1 c soy milk
3 T olive oil
3 T fresh parsley
1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
1/4 c fresh basil
1/4 c kalamata olives
1/2 c bread crumbs
1/2 T olive oil
2 pinches sea salt

Pulse first 3 ingredients in food processor until just blended. Add 1/4 c of the soy milk and blend until smooth.  Add remaining milk, olive oil, and parsley and blend until smooth.  Add artichokes, basil, olives, and pulse just a couple times (if you pulse too long you'll have no chunks left so don't do it!! :))  Transfer to a baking dish, and top with bread crumbs tossed in olive oil and salt.  Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

By the way, the ghetto Kroger near my boyfriend's place doesn't sell nutritional yeast, so I used soy mozzarella cheese because I had it in the fridge.  I recommend using the nutritional yeast though.  I also added a little truffle oil on top.

For the chips, I bought mini pitas, sliced them in half, sprinkled them with cajun seasoning and olive oil, and baked them at 375 for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment