Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Coconut Oil

I can tell a difference between drugstore moisturizers and boutique moisturizers.  I like the ones that realllly sink in and give my skin and hair that deep, moisturized glow.  But some of those products - quality conditioners, body lotions, and facial moisturizers - can be expensive.  Even more expensive if you buy the ones not loaded down with chemicals.  If you haven't seen the documentary America the Beautiful, add it to your Netflix list ASAP.

But I recently discovered coconut oil.  First and foremost, it DOES NOT make you smell strongly of coconut!  You only smell the subtle, yummy coconut while you apply it.  Then the smell dissipates and you're left with glowing - not greasy - skin.  This huge jar of organic coconut oil cost me $6.00 at Whole Foods.  How's that for chemical free and highly effective?  Isn't it great when we find little ways around paying a company $50.00 for a little tube of something? Don't you feel good when you get the same thing in bulk for six bucks?!?

I use it on my body, as a weekly hair conditioning treatment, and around my eyes and on my cheeks.  It doesn't clog my pores or make my face break out like I would have thought.  It seems to make my skin better, and work better than any moisturizer I've previously used!  I wouldn't have guessed this.

And, of course, you can cook with coconut oil.  Here are some ideas.
1. Use it instead of butter on your cinnamon toast.
2. Toss popcorn in this instead of butter. Yum! (btw, this is what movie theaters do)
3. Use coconut oil instead of butter/veg oil in coconut cake or cookies.
4. Saute your veggie base for curries, soups, rice dishes, etc in coconut oil.
5. Use it for stir fries.
6. Fry shredded coconut-battered veggies in coconut oil.
7. Basically, you can use coconut oil in place of butter or oil in most recipes.

Yay! I LOVE cheap things that work like the expensive things.  You don't always get what you pay for.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh... good call. I've been thinking about making my own lotions and potions vs buying man-made. I've also really wanted to try coconut oil! Now I have two excuses to buy it :)

    ReplyDelete