Monday, March 22, 2010

Dekalb Farmers Market

I went to the Dekalb Farmers Market yesterday to pick up some produce.  I bought a couple of items I've never tried before.  I read about these foods in The Kind Diet.  If there's one thing I love, it's trying new food.  I've loved this from the time I was born, I think.  I never met a food I couldn't at least appreciate.  Except for this seafood eyeball salad I mistakenly ordered in Paris once.

I took a few photos of the veggies.  Man, how cheap!  Does anyone know where I can get locally grown produce, though??  It seems most of the food at the Dekalb market is from California or abroad.

Here's an unfamiliar veggie I bought.  It's called Daikon.  I'll let you know what I think when I cook it.
And here's another, kabocha squash.  I didn't realize I'd tried this before, but I have and let me tell you, it is a melt-in-your-mouth, under-publicized vegetable.  I once had a squash risotto in San Francisco, and I wondered how they got the squash so luxuriously silky.  Well, I now know they were using kabocha squash.
Here's the fermented soy and bean curd section. Ha.  I'm trying to navigate the miso.
And finally, the following vegetables are staples when I go to the grocery store. Here's bok choy.
Leeks.
Radishes.
Mushrooms.
And parsley.
The pictures aren't great for two reasons.  First, the market is a madhouse on Sunday.  Second, I was being secretive because I saw a sign that said no photos in the Cashier Area, and mistakenly thought that meant the entire market.  So I was walking around being all sketchy and sleuth-like with my camera, hiding it in my back pocket and slipping it out when no employees were around.

No comments:

Post a Comment