Thursday, March 4, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup

Here's the ketchup you requested, Heather!  Lauren, sorry I haven't tried baklava yet but I'm kinda scared.

First, let me just say, I'm actually in the middle of simmering the ingredients, and it smells and tastes insanely good.  Surprisingly good.  Because we like ketchup from the bottle, and why mess with a good thing?  You gotta try this recipe, and I haven't even sampled the finished product yet.  I'd rather have this on my hotdog any day.  If I still ate hot dogs.  Hmm.  Here are the ingredients:
That's brown sugar in the red bowl, fennel seed in the white bowl, red wine vinegar beside the cheap cab, and dried ancho chilies beside the tomato paste.  Dried ancho chilies are  a bitch to chop.  And here is what it looks like all mixed together:
I let this simmer for an hour, instead of the recommended 30 minutes.  Okay, and now that it's all done and pureed, here's what it looks like.  It's the middle container, flanked by marinara and vegetable stock.
Tomorrow for dinner I'll bake sweet potato and yukon gold fries for dipping in this ketchup.  Should be ridiculous, since I could barely stop myself from eating all this with a spoon!  Can't really say that about Heinz.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making the ketchup--it looks so good! I will have to make it very soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete