Sunday, March 28, 2010

Salsa and Guacamole

Okay, I'm finally posting on my own recipe.  Actually, it isn't my own recipe, I'm pretty sure they've been doing something similar in Mexico for centuries.

Start with the things you see here. Roast one of the jalapenos; leave the other one or two jalapenos raw. DO NOT OMIT THE SEEDS as I mistakenly did, because you want this salsa to have a little kick.
Do you see how truly lazy I am about recipes? I can't even bear to measure so I take a picture and hope you get the gist.  I wonder... if I ever want to be a real chef or write a cookbook, if I'll have to be exact with my recipes.  They tell me, on NPR, that a good recipe must be very detailed.  I've got to admit something - The highly respected and celebrated Lynn Rosetto Casper from The Splendid Table gets on my nerves.  You know why?  Because I believe no matter how trained a person is, no matter how knowledgeable and experienced and justifiably opinionated about a subject - that person should never be a snob about it!  And Lynn Rosetto Casper is a damn snob!  She thinks she is an authority on all things food, meaning she knows better than you and I, and it comes through on her podcasts.  I've learned a great deal from her, but lately found myself not able to listen because I get turned off.

I can't help my rants.  Back to the salsa.  I don't like pico de gallo.  So, while you can chop all this and combine, I like mine pureed.  Blend all of the above in a food processor.  That's plum tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapenos (one roasted, the others raw), and the juice from one or two limes.  The spices you see are salt, pepper, and chili powder.  I use cherry or plum tomatoes, especially in the winter, because they have better flavor than regular, out-of-season tomatoes.

If you make the salsa the day before you want to eat it, the flavor will be better.

...On to guacamole.  I've made guacamole a million times.  I was busy the other night, so I asked Chris to make the guac.  Granted, I set out all the ingredients for him.  But I am the expert, right?  So I thought I might have to tinker a little with his finished product.

Wrong.  His was better than when I make it.  I think it was because he only had one task, which was to make guacamole, while I am usually juggling several dishes.  :)

Guacamole - mash together the following ingredients:
avocado
lime juice
cilantro
chopped jalapenos
ground cumin (essential)
onion powder
garlic powder
salt and pepper
chopped onion, tomatoes, and garlic (totally optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment