Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Brown Rice Crispy Treats with Raisins



Another recipe from The Kind Diet. You need:
brown rice cereal
brown rice syrup
peanut butter
big pinch of salt
raisins or chocolate chips

All you do is heat a jar of brown rice syrup in a pan (with a handful of raisins if you like) until really liquid, then add a huge scoop of peanut butter and a pinch of salt and stir until combined. Pour mixture over the rice cereal and stir until coated. Once the mixture is completely cooled, add chocolate chips if you want. No butter required. :-)

**Want to hear the cool thing about these treats? If you look at the ingredients listed on the packaging of the rice cereal, rice syrup, and peanut butter that I bought, your total ingredients comes to..............
Brown Rice... and peanuts.**

Yep. That is literally it. Brown rice cereal is made from brown rice, nothing more. Unlike Rice Krispies, which are full of nasty fillers. Brown rice syrup is made from brown rice and water. And when buying peanut butter, check the labels. I look for a label that says "Ingredients: peanuts, salt." or even better, just "peanuts." You want to avoid additives like oils and high fructose corn syrup. These additives are ways for companies to give you less bang for your buck, while fattening you up and contributing to lifestyle diseases like diabetes.

Remember - you vote every time you make a purchase. So even though healthy products can be harder to find in small towns like the one where I grew up, you guys can now order almost any food product online! Plus, you lucky southerners already have the advantage of fresh, local veggies!

Take the time to educate yourselves, because the people making money off you being unhealthy sure aren't going to educate you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am enjoying your blog which I found through thekinddiet site. Would you be able to tell me the ounces for the brown rice cereal. I have a bag of brown rice cereal, but I know the recipe calls for a box. I just don't want to mess up and ruin it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm so glad you're enjoying my blog! One box of brown rice crispy cereal is 10 ounces. If you're using a bag of the cereal, make sure you have brown rice crispy cereal and not the brown rice puffs. I made this mistake the first time I made the treats and they weren't as crispy... but still good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! I was going to use the puffs. I am going to make this as soon as I get a box of the crispy cereal!

    ReplyDelete