Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fennel Salad


I used a vinaigrette for this fennel salad that consisted of honey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt & pepper. I wasn't happy with the vinaigrette; it was too salty and overpowering. I think I will rinse the leftovers with cold water. I've done this before with other salads I coated with too much vinaigrette, and the result is always a refreshing salad with just enough of the flavor from the residual vinaigrette.

But for this salad, I will next time use only lemon juice and maybe a little olive oil. I also will omit either the tomatoes or the oranges, depending on whether I want a more acidic or sweeter salad.

For now, the salad contains:
1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
slices from 2 oranges
1 small carton cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 small jalapeno pepper, diced with seeds
2 T chopped fennel fronds

I normally don't provide a recipe if I'm not 100% satisfied, but I want you to know what was in it, and maybe you can play around with it yourself. I have a feeling that after I rinse this salad and have it for lunch tomorrow, I'll have changed my mind. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment