Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tempeh Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwiches


Most people love the flavor combination of bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on bread. It's called a BLT, but it should actually be called a BLTM, in my opinion, because I think the mayo is essential.

Anyway, I make these with homemade molasses wheat bread and tempeh bacon. You do miss some of the crispiness of the bacon, if you don't know how to fry well like me - I know there's a way to make tempeh crispy but I haven't achieved it.

Still, I think the flavor of the marinated tempeh strips is actually much tastier than actual bacon. Not only are these delicious, but they're super fast, especially if you have a loaf of homemade bread in your freezer... or some storebought bread would work just as well I bet. :-) I know most people don't go around making their own bread these days, though I bet more people would if they knew how easy it was!!

Tempeh BLTs:
Bread, sliced and toasted
Vegenaise, with fresh chopped cilantro stirred into it.
Sliced tomato, with salt and fresh ground pepper
chopped greens (lettuce, spinach, whatever you have)
squirt of fresh lemon juice
marinated tempeh bacon strips, fried or heated in a pan

All you do is assemble your open-faced sandwich in the order of the listed ingredients. Really, really tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment