Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tyler Florence's Black Eyed Peas



Jennifer Morgan pointed this recipe out to me after I made black eyed pea falafel. I knew I would try it eventually, and last night when I was staring at the canisters of beans, trying to decide which ones to soak, I thought of that recipe. I didn't know there was no need to soak the beans, so they got soaked anyway. :-)

My verdict: tasted great, especially with the lemon juice, cilantro, and green onions on top. Chris's verdict: good, but they don't taste like Southern black eyed peas I'm used to.

That might be due to a key missing ingredient in my peas - bacon fat. The recipe calls for bacon fat, but I omitted it. Also, my peas weren't quite as creamy, and I'm not sure the reason for that. Was it the unnecessary soak? Or insufficient cooking time?

If you're looking for a recipe for black eyed peas, I still recommend this one. The reviews are awesome, and I trust Jennifer's recommendation 100%. Next time I cook black eyed peas, I'll use this recipe, but attempt to follow it a bit more closely.

Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed my peas tonight. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you tried them, but I'm sorry they weren't the best ever. I'm sure bacon makes everything yummier, but I do believe I had to cook them a bit longer than he called for.

    I had a watermelon cocktail in Miami recently. When I took a picture, it made me think of you and your blog. It had watermelon juice, muddled cilantro, guava juice, and rum. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cocktail sounds DELICIOUS! I'm not much of a bartender but I'd like to learn to make some pretty, refreshing drinks like that. I bet you're having a blast making frequent trips to Miami!

    ReplyDelete