Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I really enjoy a warm bowl of stovetop oatmeal every once in a while, with a little cold milk poured over top.  But I'd never thought of baking it, until I came across this recipe on Little House of Veggies.

So I tried it this morning, and it's really delicious!  The best part about oven-baked oatmeal as opposed to stovetop oatmeal is the sweet, baked aroma that fills the house while you're waiting for your breakfast.

You can make any flavor oatmeal you like, starting with 1 part oatmeal to 2 parts milk, and using whatever dried or fresh fruit and nuts you like.  I wanted apple cinnamon raisin with almonds, like Morgan's recipe, but didn't have apples or almonds.  So I just added some applesauce and a smidgen of almond extract, in addition to the cinnamon and raisins, then topped with a few banana slices.

When it comes out of the oven, it's delicious with a little milk poured on top, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Thanks for this great idea, Morgan!

1 comment:

  1. Once again, nice picture! I love this oatmeal, and its been a staple at our home for years. I have made it several times with applesauce, and its yummy with cranberries and pecans as well during the fall. Im so glad you liked it! Very nice blog BTW!

    ReplyDelete