Sunday, June 27, 2010

Homemade Granola


This morning, and by this morning I mean THREE A.M., I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep.  I've been in extreme productivity mode for the past few days, trying to get many things done all at once, and I guess I just didn't want to stop and sleep!

Also, when I woke up, I couldn't stop thinking about crunchy cereal with cold milk.  I used to eat a couple bowls of cheerios every day, with sliced bananas or strawberries.  Delicious!  But lately I don't feel like buying anything packaged.  Not even sweets.  That's right, I only want cupcakes or cookies I made myself, or bakery sweets.  Cereal is no exception.  We don't know what they put in that stuff, or what goes on in that factory!

I finally got out of bed, went downstairs to the kitchen, and made homemade granola.  Here's my recipe.

You'll need:
2 cups oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans - whatever you like)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup
1 cup dried fruit (cherries, apricots, raisins, dates, apples...)
pinch of kosher salt
sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.  Toss the first three ingredients in the oil and honey.  Put mixture in a large shallow pan, sprinkle with cinnamon and a small pinch of salt, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, add to a bowl, and toss in dried fruit.  Allow to cool thoroughly, before covering, so that your granola is crispy!

This is a treat and kids would probably love it.  I have to remind myself to go easy on it, as it is addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment