Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 1 Supper: BLT Salad With Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing

Guess we didn't get our avocado fix for lunch. :)  I LOVE this salad dressing, which I sorta created tonight, but which was inspired by the gorgeous green lime-cilantro vinaigrette I saw on one of my favorite blogs, Little House of Veggies!  Ever since I saw it, I haven't been able to get that vibrant green dressing off my mind; I knew it would be simultaneously tangy and creamy, delicious!

However, I didn't want to use olive oil in the salad dressing, and since avocado tastes great in a BLT sandwich, I decided to use avocado to achieve the creaminess I wanted.

I also made the bacon using a block of tempeh and a recipe I saw in Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's cookbook, The Vegan Table.  It's so simple, you simply slice the steamed block of tempeh into strips, marinate it in soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and water, then cook it in a pan like bacon.

Creamy Avocado-Lime Salad Dressing:
1 avocado
juice from 1 lime
handful fresh cilantro
few drops of ume vinegar
5-10 fresh ground coriander seeds
1 garlic clove
pepper

Blend all ingredients, then use water and/or additional lime juice to thin out to desired consistency.  I had not thought to add coriander seeds, but I think it's brilliant on Morgan's part, since they add a nice, subtle lemony fragrance, and anyway, coriander seeds produce coriander plants, which is another word for cilantro!

The sweet, smoky bacon contrasts nicely with the creamy, tangy dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment