Thursday, July 15, 2010

Homemade Pizzas

Because I'm not sure if it matters whether basil is added before, or after, or before and after the cooking process, I usually go for number three, which is why you see some wilted and some fresh basil leaves on my pizza.  If anyone knows the answer to my question, please comment and let me know so I can possibly eliminate a step. :-)

I got my pizza crust recipe here, and this site is excellent for detailed, yet simple, bread recipes. I used whole wheat flour, though.

I used my go-to tomato sauce recipe, which I usually keep in the freezer for nights like tonight.  The "cheese" is Daiya mozzarella, which does a darn good job of imitating cheese, though not every pizza needs cheese.  Pizza can be pretty delicious with a little white truffle oil and some arugula or radicchio.
Here's some useful information: Oven roasted eggplant becomes very creamy and delicious, and so makes an awesome addition to pizzas and lasagnas, especially cheese-less ones. It adds a creamy richness that truly elevates Italian dishes.  Trust me on this one - slice some eggplant, coat it in olive oil, sprinkle it with salt, and bake it at 400ish for 15ish minutes. Then put it between lasagna layers or on a pizza or in a sandwich.  We're not living in the Depression anymore, people, so you don't need to rely on cheap things like cream cheese and mayonnaise for your creaminess.  Wake up and smell the eggplant and lose some weight while you're at it.  We've got enough of a battle trying to resist the cupcakes, so we might as well make little changes where we can.

Feel free to make fun of my oddly-shaped pizzas.

1 comment:

  1. I love these! They look so delicious. Daiya is good on pizza. We've been eating at Zpizza and getting their Berkley vegan. YUM!

    ReplyDelete