Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thai Lime Leaf Pesto


In trying to preserve all the vegetables my mom gave me, of course I made pesto with the basil.  Basil pesto is obviously an Italian concept.  But I find myself using lots of Japanese ingredients when I make pesto, like sweet white miso and ume vinegar.  I find these two ingredients take pesto up a couple notches.

As I was making this "fusion" pesto, I suddenly remembered the lime leaves I keep in the freezer for Thai curry.  And I tossed a few in.  The result is delicious!  It really does make the pesto extra unique and extra addictive.  And you can use it for almost anything.  I've been stirring it into rice, since it is fusion pesto after all, and last night I spread it on my Southern tomato and vegenaise sandwich. :-)

Thai Lime Leaf Pesto:
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley
2-3 lime leaves
1/2 heaping cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp sweet white miso
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1-2 Tbsp ume vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Blend ingredients in the food processor, adding olive oil last, through feeder into already blended ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. I need to try this. Everytime I make pesto I don't know why I did! I don't seem to like it! But I think dressing it up would help.

    Happy 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephenie! I keep trying to reply to your comment, but my reply keeps getting deleted! Anyway, what pesto recipe are you using? And what are you putting the pesto on (bread, pasta)? This could help me figure out if there's a recipe you might like.

    ReplyDelete