Sunday, August 22, 2010

Black Bean Enchiladas

When I eat food like this, I wonder why some people assume a vegetarian diet isn't hearty and satisfying.

Granted - I used daiya cheese, but it was more for nostalgia and not necessary for the richness of the dish.

I cooked black beans down with the usual Mexican spices - actually, I cheated and used a taco seasoning packet which, I must say, made things go a little quicker. :)  I stirred in some corn and caramelized onions and garlic, too.

The enchilada sauce is just fresh tomatoes, garlic, cumin, onion, chili powder, tomato paste, cilantro, salt, and pepper pureed in the food processor then simmered until ever so slightly thickened.

Dip corn tortillas in the sauce, spoon on the black bean mush, and roll up in the dish, seam down.  Top with the remaining tomato sauce and some Daiya cheese if you like.  Bake on 350 for 20 minutes or so.

I always need a cool, raw contrast with spicy cooked food.  So I made guacamole, and an unusual salsa from shredded radishes, daikon, cilantro, corn, lime juice, and - this is KEY - lots of fresh ground black pepper.  Chris thought it was strange, I liked it.  Chris loved the enchiladas though.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That looks so delicious, especially with that dollop of guac on top. And the Daiya. Everything is better with Daiya.

    ReplyDelete