Sunday, August 22, 2010

Have You Written Your Obituary Yet?

I bought the book Food Jobs, by Irena Chalmers, months ago, not because I was convinced I wanted a food job, but because I do love food and I was curious.  What I found, having picked it up yesterday and started reading through it, is that the book is helpful to anyone seeking his purpose in life - not just foodies.

What I've gathered after just a few chapters is that there exists in this world every possible combination of interests.  A million different types of people in this world love food - and not every one of them wants to be a chef, a food critic, or a restauranteur.  For every food-lover, there is a suitable job.  If you feel torn between food and... I dunno, ship-building - there is a job for you.  Don't ask me what it is, but I bet this book has some ideas.

The author (who herself has explored many different careers with one common thread - food) suggests we write our own obituaries.  She says we will then find out what we truly hope to accomplish in life.  What we want others to say about us when we're gone, what we want them to remember us for, and what our life's work should be.  I love this idea.

I want to end by saying that though I'm passionate about food, it is a hobby, and not the core of who I am.  I wrote my own obituary yesterday, and it confirmed what I have known since I was five years old, though I've perhaps tried to deny it or abandon it temporarily over the years.  Try writing your own obituary, and see what it tells you about your sincerest hopes and dreams.

3 comments:

  1. I love this because it's so true with EVERYTHING! I haven't written my obituary... but maybe I'll do that today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird, I was just thinking about this concept yesterday! (that of how will I be remembered, and can people really tell what I love/where my heart is, etc.) Thought-provoking indeed. I really need a new job...

    (ps this is blair's friend Kathleen, we met at the wedding... just found your blog a week or two ago and have been very much enjoying it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen, I'm late in responding, but thank you for your comment (and yours, Stephenie!). I really appreciate hearing people read the blog, and I LOVE when they actually comment!!! Your own blogs awesome - both of them. Congrats on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete