Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What's On the Cutting Board for Tonight? ...Mashed Potatoes & Mushroom Gravy!

Colleen Patrick-Goudreau has one mouth-watering gravy recipe. After listening to her talk about it time and again on her podcast as a Thanksgiving tradition, I looked forward to trying her mushroom gravy myself.

I did tonight, and it was incredibly delicious and flavorful!!

The gravy takes about 10 minutes to make.  It would be perfect on french fries, too.  Or Thanksgiving dressing...mmm.  You can puree it for a smooth gravy, or leave it chunky, or do half and half.

Mushroom Gravy:
2 tsp earth balance
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 lb cremini mushrooms (about 20), sliced
3 Tbsp flour
2 c veg stock
2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp dried thyme
freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat butter and saute onion and mushrooms on med-high to high until translucent and golden, about 15 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk flour into stock with soy sauce, thyme, and pepper.
3. When lump-free, add to the onions & mushrooms and stir until thickened.
4. Puree some or all of the gravy, depending on how chunky you like it.

You know, I bet it would be awesome fancified with a little white wine de-glaze, too...

2 comments:

  1. I wish I loved cooking as much as you do! I enjoy it... but some nights I'd rather eat cereal than make the effort, despite REALLY wanting some warm, home cooked foods. MUST MAKE TIME! OR! Can I just come live with you? *Puppy Dog Eyes* ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love it... but sometimes I feel I should be spending time on other things. It does take time, I'll admit. Some nights, I love a bowl of cereal too.

    And of COURSE you can come live here! Did you even need to ask? :-) Or, how bout I come live with you in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete