Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownies

I made these brownies for my lovely sweetie-pie niece using Dreena Burton's recipe.  It seems all the vegan bloggers are doing it - Morgan from Little House of Veggies has chocolate truffles and Chocolate-Covered Katie has fudge babies and Dreena from Eat Drink and Be Vegan has fudge brawnies (cuz all the ingredients are raw).

Basically, you blend 3:4 parts nuts to dates.  (Popular nut choices are walnuts, almonds, cashews... or a blend).  Add cocoa powder and vanilla extract, and you've got something that tastes sinful - I do not exaggerate - but is actually healthy.  Dreena's brownies have a rich, fudgy frosting made from coconut butter, cocoa powder, and agave.

Brownies:
1 3/4 cup nuts (walnuts, almonds, and cashews)
2 cups medjool dates (sub 1/4 cup with dried cherries if you like!)
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate)
2 tsp vanilla (she calls for vanilla bean - even better! but I didn't have it)
1/4 tsp sea salt

Frosting:
1/2 cup coconut butter
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
pinch sea salt

Blend the nuts in the food processor, add the remaining ingredients, and process until mixture forms a ball.  Remove and press in a pan.  Blend the frosting ingredients in the food processor as well, then spread the frosting over the brownies. Done! No need to bake these babies.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I NEED a food processor!!! That looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephenie, I use my food processor almost every other day. I have a question - how were you making pesto without a food processor? Did a blender work fine?

    ReplyDelete