Sunday, October 3, 2010

Acorn Squash With Roasted Veggie, Quinoa, Cherry & Pecan Stuffing. Plus Mashed Sweet Potatoes.

Fall has arrived! This weekend, the weather was absolutely beautiful.  Sunny skies and brisk temperatures.  You can't help but be in a happy mood.

I'm so ready for fall fruits and vegetables.  I've missed apples (they're just not good in the summertime).  We went to the farmers market today and stocked up.  I was inspired to create a Thanksgiving-y meal, with loads of fall vegetables... and herbs, like thyme and sage.
I cut open these little acorn squash, coated them in oil, salt, and pepper, and roasted them.
I also diced 1 small rutabaga, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, some mushrooms, and an onion, and roasted the vegetables with thyme and sage.

I toasted the pecans and dried cherries together, cooked the quinoa, then combined the roasted diced veggies, pecans, cherries, and quinoa, and used the mixture to stuff my acorn squash.

We had the stuffed squash with mashed sweet potatoes on the side.

It was delicious, but I would have liked some sort of cool or raw contrast with all those hot cooked vegetables... any suggestions?

Is anyone else in the  mood for Thanksgiving the way I am? And if you are, what is the one tradition you are most looking forward to?  I've got to be honest.  Family and friends are wonderful, but I'm really looking forward to cornbread stuffing, mushroom gravy, and cranberry sauce.

4 comments:

  1. That totally looks like what I have at Thanksgiving every year. But that squash is gorgeous! The skin looks almost black in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!! nice job <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks amazing. I have to try this recipe. The colors are fabulous and I'm sure it tastes good too.

    ReplyDelete