Monday, October 25, 2010

Nigella Lawson's Tomato Rice Soup

Sweet, simple, comforting tomato rice soup.  I adore Nigella Lawson! I've made her recipe for tomato rice soup many times now.  It takes a couple of seconds to pour rice, tomatoes (I use a liquidy tomato puree), and water in a big pot.  Then all you do is let the lovely smell of tomato soup fill the house.  You feel so comforted by that big pot of simmering soup on the stove.  But your hands are free so you can do whatever else you need or want to do on a Monday night.

It's delicious with lots of fresh ground black pepper, basil, and (shhhh) parmesan cheese.  I haven't eaten cheese in forever, but I used to put a generous helping of that stuff in this soup, and it's fantastic.  I'm perfectly happy to eat it without, but thought you should know. :-)

If anyone is reading, do you have a favorite soup? This one isn't my very favorite... I don't know if I could even name a favorite.

5 comments:

  1. I used to love chicken tortilla soup. Dave and Busters had the BEST too. Maybe I ought to find a yummy vegan version...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only found out the other day that parmesan isn't even veggie - http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cheese.html

    Might still eat it anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought maybe miso was my favorite soup, but then I thought about the creamy potato soup I just made...and then I kept thinking of yet more soups I love! So I guess it's hard to choose for me, too.

    I've never seen a soup with just tomato and rice, especially not blended! It looks really good; very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen L. -- Whole Foods' 365 brand has a vegetarian "parmesan" (and other cheeses -- they label them "vegetarian" right on the packaging.) It's a 2 hour drive to my nearest Whole Foods, so I always take my cooler and stock up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, soup. I recently had this smoked turkey and black lentil soup at the most amazing Hale & Hearty in NYC. It's all I can think about lately. But when Jeremy makes Mario Batali's Tuscan white bean soup, I love that most. And when I'm sick, all I think about is my homemade chicken noodle. Then there's that chicken tortilla soup and even a can of Campbell's tomato soup when I'm super lazy and starving. I love soup!

    ReplyDelete