Wednesday, October 13, 2010

White Bean Chili with Shoestring Fries

Well, I may not have found a red vegan chili that lives up to my pre-vegan chili recipe just yet - though there are several out there in Blog Land I want to try... but I have created a white bean chili that I can, without hesitation, recommend you try yourself, if you like white bean chili, particularly white bean chili al fresco, or even tortilla soup.

Vegetarians and Meat-Eaters - I think you will both like this chili. Meat-Eaters, you can even add meat if you aren't concerned about cholesterol or animal suffering, or if you are but have to have meat anyway.

Who am I to judge? I won't, ever, by the way. Why just nine months ago I ate meat almost daily, and I made a white bean chili similar to this with chicken in it once, and ground turkey in it once. Both good.

You won't miss the meat in this chili.

Here's the cutting board, minus some things.

Those tomatillos are the secret, because they give the chili that extra tang, that makes it, in my opinion. The canned green chilies and lime juice also add to the fresh sourness that I love!

Finally, the chili doesn't need milk, cream, or butter to be creamy. It needs a handful of cashews, pureed in the food processor with a little water. Voila - instant creamy soup. Amazing to think we'd use heavy cream to make soups more luscious, when we could use raw cashews to achieve the same thing. Heart health, anyone?

White Bean Chili with Shoestring Fries
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapano, diced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
chili powder, generous dusting
garlic powder, generous dusting
onion powder , generous dusting
1 tsp kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
3 tomatillos
1 can diced green chilies
1 can rotel tomatoes with green chilies
2 cans navy beans (rinsed, drained)
1 can white corn
big handful chopped cilantro
2 cups vegetable broth
2-3 limes
cashew cream (1 handful raw cashews pureed in processor with a little water til creamy)
One bag frozen shoestring fries (hey, it's a weeknight meal)

Cook the onions, garlic, and peppers in a little hot oil until softened. Add the spices and stir to combine. Deglaze with a juice from one lime. Add the remaining ingredients (minus the lime(s) and some cilantro for garnish), bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour. During the last 10 minutes, bake the fries according to the package instructions, and add the cashew cream to the chili.

Eat your chili with crispy fries, cilantro, and a lime wedge.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good and interesting that I might just Have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I've never even thought about white bean chili...and I love tomatillos!

    ReplyDelete