Friday, January 14, 2011

Black Bean Burgers from Veganomicon

I've heard such good reviews for Veganomicon's black bean patty recipe, so it must be a matter of personal taste that I didn't like them.

1. While I love vital wheat gluten for seitan or other dishes that mimic meat, I don't like it in my black bean patty.  Because black beans aren't meat, and they don't pretend to be, and they're supposed to have that chunky, almost falling apart, crispy-on-the-outside texture.  They're not supposed to be rubbery or gummy or any of those adjectives that describe things that unnaturally don't fall apart.  So I could have done with a dusting of vital wheat gluten, if any at all. Not 1/2 cup.

2. Something was lacking.  My burger didn't taste savory and flavorful and mouthwatering.  It tasted kind of bland - to me.

The quest to find the perfect black bean burger recipe continues.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't made these yet and have a bad history of perfecting my own vegan burgers. One suggestion looking at your version is taht the burger patty is ay too big. You could probably get better texture (and easier to cook) by making them thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, good point, I did make them a little thick, they way people do a beef patty expecting it to shrink down on the grill. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to have found this blog! I just made them last night and thought they were kind of gross. I hate that vital wheat gluten aftertaste. Ugh. And they were sooo bland. I just don't get what all the fuss was about. I had such high hopes for them, but like most vegan recipes, they let me down. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I agree with you on this particular recipe, but I hate that most vegan recipes have let you down!! I really hope you find some you like. I really like The Kind Diet. I also rely on things like tahini sauce, pestos, soy sauce, ume vinegar, and miso to give me that salty, fatty, delicious flavor I may have missed without meat or cheese... If you do find a good black bean patty recipe let me know!

    ReplyDelete