Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Caffeine

I'm addicted to caffeine.  I haven't been able to imagine a morning without a cup of coffee for years.

I did quit, once.  I quit cold turkey.  It was a painful week.  Here were my symptoms:
  • intense headache
  • slow reaction time
  • inability to focus
  • fogginess
  • confusion
  • sluggishness
  • inability to think straight
  • squinty-eyedness
Yet, I made it through that rough week, motivated by curiosity, mostly.  I was so excited to experience the effects (whatever they were to be) of being caffeine free after so long of not.

Well, that was a long time ago, but here's what I remember of my short caffeine-free stint, after the withdrawal symptoms had worn off:
  • compliments galore on my skin
  • feeling more peaceful and zen
  • able to wake up without a short leash between me and the coffeepot... that was liberating
Anyway, I slowly, socially, started drinking coffee again and that was that. You know how it goes.  But here I am, finally determined enough to quit again.  I had only half a cup yesterday, and half a cup today.  Tomorrow, 1/4 cup.  That's right, no cold turkey this time.  Not right after a week-long vacation and clients expecting me to have a brain this week.  I've definitely experienced withdrawal symptoms, just not as severe.  And by the end of this week (that means Sunday) I will be coffee free, though perhaps still a little miserable.

Can't wait for that zen feeling to return!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dianne. :-) It's going pretty well so far... we'll see though!

    ReplyDelete