Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Moroccan Couscous With Saffron from The Kind Diet

First time I've ever cooked with saffron, and it made this dish so warm and yummy!  I like this picture, because you can see the steam coming from the couscous, and the little red saffron strands, and it's such a warm sunny contrast to the grey snow and ice outside!

Moroccan couscous with saffron, I recommend it, but follow the instructions exactly.  I've discovered in most of Alicia's (I figure we're on a first name basis by now) recipes, she calls for just enough water.  I'm pretty sure this has something to do with macrobiotic cooking and retaining as many nutrients as possible, but it doesn't leave room for a heaping cup of couscous or any other such discrepancies.

I always marvel at how pretty and colorful veggies can be while I'm prepping them, but I rarely stop to take a picture.  I had to take one of the yellow kabocha squash and green leeks and zucchini (I had to alter the veggies in the recipe according to what I had in the kitchen, because I'm not up for a hike across the glacier that is Atlanta to the grocery store).

5 comments:

  1. I love that you're cooking recipes from this book, because I've been interested in them for a while now! This looks beautiful, the yellow contrasted with the veggies is so bright and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you! :-) If you haven't tried the recipes in the book, you should! It is by far my fav cookbook, EVER, period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I like the way you're making your way too. I keep picking it up and putting it back down - it's nice to see the recipes in action.
    Saffron is so nice and delicate a taste, but really expensive. I don't pick it up often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have definitely reawakened my interest in this book. I've picked it up many times, and always put it down without purchasing it. I just may have to change that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. foodfeud and Amanda: I'm really glad you guys say that! I can't help sharing the photos... I am so genuinely enthusiastic about this book, because I feel like it has improved my quality of life. Who doesn't feel grateful for THAT? Maybe it's just me, I'm all into the health food thing... and this book kind of hits the spot for me. But I love hearing from others that I'm not the only one. :-)

    What I love most about the book is that it showed me methods and ingredients that make healthy food FUN, UNIQUE, and absolutely a treat to eat... so much so that I prefer it to junk food... and to me that is the secret to eating healthfully.

    ReplyDelete