Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Day Meal

Black-eyed peas, cornbread, and collard greens... plus apple pie with a homemade apple caramel sauce.

This is as basic and traditional as Southern New Year's Day meal gets... except for the missing pork, of course.  I definitely didn't miss it.  In the past, when I ate pork on New Year's Day, I only ate it because it was injected with salt, encrusted with herbs, and smothered in plum sauce.  I can have all of those yummy things without the vehicle of meat... it could be my personal taste, but I think people would be surprised just how little they missed meat if they included a wide variety of other foods in their diet, and new how to cook properly, meaning, knew how to achieve those satisfying flavors and textures with plants.  Vegans - at least the ones I know - aren't subsisting off the over-boiled brussels sprouts which may have turned you off to vegetables...

Anyway, I can promise you one thing - my collard greens yesterday could hold their own next to collard greens cooked with pork.  That's because they were just as smokey and salty and tender as those cooked with meat.  Recipe: De-stem and chiffonade a huge bunch of collard greens. Cover with water. Add a dash of hot sauce and apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon or two of olive oil, a vegetable bullion cube, some salt and pepper, a couple drops of liquid smoke, and a pinch of smoked paprika.  Cover and cook the hell out of them (I think the reason this works just like meat is because the fat from the oil breaks down the greens like animal fat would, but is supposedly more heart-healthy, or so they tell us, and doesn't support cruel animal farming practices and other such stuff...)
Also, I provided the recipe a couple days ago for my black-eyed peas, which are the best ones I've ever had, in my opinion.  Just please use your own judgement with measurements, as I detest measuring and writing recipes... I'm hoping you'll get the basic idea and go from there (also included is a very old cornbread recipe from a 97-year old expert cornbread maker).

1 comment:

  1. Nice food, The comments are very informative for human being for knowing about new year's meal. It would be great if you can provide more details about traditional as southern new year's day meal. Thanks you…

    Nutrition Healthy Diet

    ReplyDelete