Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rustic Potato and Leek Soup (With Kale) from Love Soup

Rustic potato and leek soup (with my addition of kale) is the second recipe I've made from Love Soup.

We thoroughly enjoyed our soup tonight, especially with the suggested additions of fresh lemon juice, parsley, and scallions.

But this recipe isn't my favorite for potato soup.  See, I expect potato soup to be creamy and slightly more "mashed," with chunks of potato.  This recipe didn't call for any pureeing; instead the diced potatoes float in a vegetable broth.  I did a little pureeing with the submersion blender (thus the greenish color, since some of the kale got pureed too), but not enough to suit me.

Granted, the recipe called for heavy cream, with the option to omit it, and naturally I omitted it.  But potato soup shouldn't have to rely on heavy cream to be creamy.

Now that I've voiced my complaints - I still have to say, the soup was yummy, and I'm already looking forward to taking it to lunch tomorrow.

UPDATE: I just let the soup sit for about 30 minutes to an hour... then tasted it again.  YUM.  I guess it had time to cool a little, and thicken, and the flavors meld a little better.  It came together so much better after having that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment