Sunday, January 16, 2011

Slow-Rise Pancakes from Vegan Yum Yum

Listen, if you read the last two posts, arrived to this third post, and wondered if I might be carb-loading in preparation for an endurance race, I have only to say:

1. I don't believe in carb-loading before endurance sports because it slows me down and I truly don't understand the purpose; I believe in carb-loading in spontaneous bursts of utter indulgence, controlled chaos, you might call it, which can sometimes stretch over the course of a few days, but is easily and happily reined in on Monday, with a refreshing run, nourishing steamed brown rice and kale, and plenty of water, and...

2. Don't judge me.

Review for Vegan Yum Yum's slow-rise pancakes: I'll be saving this recipe.  It isn't QUITE perfected in my kitchen, because I found it a little "eggier" and less fluffy than the pancakes my mom effortlessly threw together on Saturday mornings (but cruelly never wrote down measurements for), and I wasn't sure about the slight "yeasty" taste in my pancakes, but they were probably the best pancakes I've ever made, not being the greatest pancake maker, especially with bananas and/or chocolate chips, and I really appreciated that I could make them the night before and them be ready to pour in the morning (genius!).  I'd recommend these pancakes to anyone looking for a pancake recipe... but I still need to watch my mom make her pancakes and try to learn a thing or two.

At least I'm not still in Spain, trying to convince my Spanish roommate that pancakes don't contain a cup of sugar and are actually not crepes... ugh... that's a story for another day.

3 comments:

  1. lol I am so with you on the no-judgement weekends. I remember seeing that recipe, but meals that take longer than an hour to make intimidate me...they look lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those do look totally beautiful. I finally bought this book after a year of wishing! I need to take a look at the recipe ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianne, me too, but it took me under five minutes to whisk the batter in a bowl, cover it, and stick it in the fridge right before bed. The next morning I didn't have to worry about rushing around making breakfast for my guests. I just poured the batter onto the griddle and served up pancakes!

    ReplyDelete