Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Split Pea Soup and Grilled Cheese & Tomato on Sourdough

Ohhhhhh.... how to make split pea soup look remotely appetizing.

Eh, forget it.  It looks terrible.  And actually, it didn't taste amazing either.  I've made much tastier split pea soup.  (Those chunks you see are Field Roast Italian sausage - I recommend!)

Let's skip to the really tasty part.
Pictures don't do it justice.  Because I used amazing homemade (in someone else's home) sourdough bread from the farmers market that I stuck in the freezer to pull out for occasions like this ("this" = thunderstorm outside and cold dark rainy gloom all day).  I put a little Vegenaise on the inside, Earth Balance on the outside, some Daiya cheddar (a real treat, we rarely buy it lest it wear out its welcome) and tomato slices, and then I put it in the George Forman and forgot about it until it was done.
I almost wonder if cheese eaters - though perhaps not cheese coinesseours - might not like a Daiya grilled cheese as much as a cow's grilled cheese.  I think when you eat it in moderation, on a pizza or a sandwich or to top a lasagna or stirred into a casserole or scattered over nachos - as opposed to in big blocks on a cutting board or enormous chunks encased in a calzone - the difference is insignificant. But the health benefits are not.

3 comments:

  1. I have yet to try Daiya. The sandwich does look amazing though - I always used to eat my grilled cheeses with tomato and I love how juicy and drippy it made everything.
    Rain is definitely an occasion for special meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaah.. I SO want grilled cheese now!!! Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this recipe gonna try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete