Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Strawberry Basil Rolls

I am lucky in that I work with some of the sweetest, most thoughtful people I know.  One of those people brought me some rice wrappers to make spring rolls.  I made six of them tonight, and packed them away for lunch tomorrow  (much to the disappointment of another who assumed they were to be his dinner).

I stuffed them with spinach, basil, cucumbers, avocado, and strawberries.  I'll have them tomorrow with plum sauce and chopped peanuts.

Pictured is the ginger carrot dressing from Goop's Detox post.  It's perfectly suitable for people who aren't detoxing, turns out.

UPDATE:  I ate these today.  I do believe they will become a staple!  Here's why.  1.) They keep excellently.  They hold up much better than a sandwich or wrap; no sogginess!  I made them yesterday and they were perfect today for lunch.  The herbs, fruits and vegetables inside were completely fresh and crisp.  The wrapper had the most fun texture.  I can't really describe it; you'll just have to try it for yourself!  2.) They're adorable.  And you're looking at the first wrap I made, so they can be made to look much neater once you get the hang of it.  3. They're versatile.  You could put just about anything in them.  I bet purple cabbage would be so pretty!  4.  Um, can you say gluten/soy/sugar-free?  5. Totally light and won't make you need to take a nap at your desk after lunch.

I know that when beach weather gets here (and it will, soon, right??), these sweet little things will make it into my margarita cooler.

1 comment:

  1. YUMMM!!! i just made some classic spring rolls and still have some of the wrappers left over, I am definitely gonna make this a s a round-two recipe!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete