Friday, June 3, 2011

Stir Fry Tips


Since I didn’t have a picture of my stir fry, I thought I’d offer this consolation-prize-of-a-picture, as proof of my stir fry’s goodness.

I am pretty sure all you cooks out there recognize these words - this ___ is amazing! - as music to our ears.

After many failed attempts at stir fry I finally got it right.  You know by now I hate writing recipes, so instead I’ll provide some tips you could apply to any stir fry recipe with success.

1. Dry fry your tofu first, using this method.
2. Don’t have soba or udon noodles, or rice?? Whole wheat angel hair pasta works great! (I learned this from Jennifer Morgan, whose mom uses spaghetti noodles for stir fry sometimes. I still remember Jennifer cooking up peppers, broccoli, and spaghetti in her wok when we lived together).
3. Get the wok super, super hot first. When you add an ingredient, flip it around quick and it’ll be done fast. We’re not caramelizing or simmering here, we’re flash-cooking for crisp veggies!
4. Only cook one ingredient at a time, transferring to a plate when done, before adding the next ingredient. Add them all back in the pot at the end. Then, you…
5. Add this sauce (halve the recipe; it makes too much for a 4-serving dish).

There ya go! The hard-learned lessons that helped me make a stir fry good enough to prompt this reaction.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I'd totally forgotten about that shrimp/udon (spaghetti) stirfry! Thanks for the reminder!:)

    ReplyDelete