Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Best Fish Tacos You Will Ever Eat


The best fish tacos you will ever eat, you will eat at La Fonda Latina in Atlanta.  However, you can attempt to replicate them and get sort of close, if you follow the instructions in this blog post.

Unfortunately, you will have to visit the real La Fonda for the rooftop patio, the perfect frozen margaritas that are just the right balance of sweet and tart and frothy-frozen with a rim of crunchy salt…. ahhh, I want to be there now – and the salsa: the best salsa anywhere but it’s so, so simple.  It must just be tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, salt, and sugar… but I’ve never had it anywhere else and I haven’t been able to replicate it.

Their beans and rice are also delicious, but I think my own rice is pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

Anyway, here’s as close as we’ve come to La Fonda fish tacos.  As we continue to unravel the mystery, we’ll keep you posted.

Fish Tacos
- soft flour tortillas, warmed gently in the microwave with a damp towel
- tilapia or salmon, hot-pan-seared quickly with a little butter and spices (?)
- shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and a token bit of shredded purple cabbage
- special sauce… mmmmm – mostly sour cream, some mayo, a squeeze of lime, and a generous pile of diced pickled jalapenos and their juices!

That special sauce is KEY.  If you don’t have pickled jalapenos, forget it!

We have these once a week, at least, at La Fonda, with frozen margaritas and chips and salsa.  I want to go there right now!

Made at home or on a beach trip, I think it’d be nice to have the men grill the fish outdoors so that’s one less thing I have to worry about!

3 comments:

  1. I can't help having dirty thoughts at the name "fish taco." Yes, I have the sense of humor of a 16-year-old boy. Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and hands down the BEST LOOKING ones too!! <3

    ReplyDelete