Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mushroom, Onion & Swiss Chard Phyllo Rolls and Roasted Garlic-Cauliflower Mash

Not quite the beautiful photograph, but thought I'd share dinner last night.  Using this recipe as inspiration, I filled my phyllo roll with caramelized onions, mushrooms, and sauteed swiss chard.

They were okay, but you know what was better?  The odd pile of cream-colored mash on the side.  Yes, my roasted garlic and cauliflower mash was pretty delicious.

I'm not on a low-carb diet (though I am on a low-processed-carb diet), but I like how the cauliflower has such a creamy texture, it requires much less butter and sour cream type stuff to make it creamy, than potatoes do.
Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Mash
8 cloves garlic
1 large head cauliflower
1-2 Tbsp butter (to your liking)
kosher salt and pepper

Coat the unpeeled garlic cloves in oil and roast in the oven on 400 for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop and steam the cauliflower until soft (you can even do this in the microwave - microwaving vegetables is my new trick for freeing up the stove!)

Puree the hot cauliflower and now-peeled roasted garlic in the food processor, with butter, salt and pepper to taste.

Voila! Tasty, creamy, mashed cauliflower.  It feels like you're eating a big bowl full of sinful carb-y stuff, but you're not.  You're eating steamed cauliflower.  Pretty healthy right?

No comments:

Post a Comment