Thursday, September 8, 2011

White Bean and Collard Green Soup

It was the Tuesday after Labor Day Weekend, and an abrupt end to summer.  All day long, it was rainy, dark, and chilly.  Chris was sick with a cold.  Suddenly, the idea of a big pot of simmering soup seemed exciting!

With visions of hot, creamy, white bean soup in my head, I left work at 6pm and went straight to the grocery store to grab the items I needed:

white beans
collard greens (pre-chopped)
tiny multi-colored potatoes
carrots
celery
onion
garlic
basil

(Other items, like vegetable broth, dried herbs, S&P, and olive oil I had at home already)

I forwent the whole “sauté the mirepoix” step for time’s sake, instead slicing everything into the pot while the water worked up to a boil.  I reduced it to a simmer, covered it, and ran out the door for my first Fall Weather Run of the season.  It was glorious.

Back from my run, I showered and checked my soup.  The beans were still hard!  If you don’t know, bean cooking time varies from bean to bean, and batch to batch.  You just never know.  However, these dried navy beans were obviously of the “simmer all day” variety.

Besides that, while waiting impatiently, I couldn’t leave well enough alone.  Anyone knows beans combined with aromatic veggies and allowed to simmer luxuriously are going to taste just perfect.  But I kept tasting and tasting and tapping my foot.  This led to my adding a can of rotel tomatoes, which, despite the fact that tomatoes can never do anything but good to a stew, defeated my goal for creamy, uncluttered white bean stew.  The collard greens didn’t help either, as they colored the broth with their dingy green.

Ah well.  It simmered until bedtime.  The next night, I pureed a little of the soup with the immersion blender to thicken it and warmed it on the stove.  It hit the spot, with a side of garlic toast.

Still, I have a vision of creamy, silky, white bean stew in my head that will not go away.  I almost hope it storms on Saturday, just so I can make it, the perfect way.

1 comment:

  1. Now you've got me craving my own big pot of white bean stew. This looks delicious. We're finally getting some Summer weather here, but this soup has me wishing Fall would hurry up and get here.

    ReplyDelete