Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Ravioli (with Wonton Wrappers)

Wonton wrappers are an easy way to cheat if you want homemade ravioli.  Here are a few tips.

1. Make sure the filling tastes delicious, on its own.  I roasted butternut squash, and caramelized onions, before pureeing it altogether with some fresh parsley.

2. Double up on the wrappers (two per ravioli) for a more toothsome, pasta-like texture.

3. Flour your surface for working with the wrappers.

4. Don’t overfill.

5. Wet your fingers to seal the edges very well.

6. Steam or boil gently in batches, until the ravioli begin to look transparent. Then lift out with a large strainer.

7. Finish by searing in the flavor.  You do this in a hot pan with your sauce of choice.  Since my filling was so sweet (roasted butternut and caramelized onions, hello) I made mine nice and spicy-salty-vinegary, with a sauce made from soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, and hot pepper sesame oil.  I topped with sesame seeds; I guess it turns out my ravioli were Asain-inpsired.  Fitting, since I used wonton wrappers.

1 comment: